Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Software/Chimps/Jazz

3 subjects, not related, alright?
Spent the better part of the weekend working on an "Impress" presentation. Impress is the Open Office version of Powerpoint. As an aside, Powerpoint has achieved market penetration like "Xerox" or "Scotch tape". Let's leave scotch out of this though! On to the user rant about software..
This presentation involved a readable font "Tahoma" in 48 point for most headings, resized occasionally for long titles. I used another font, "Mistral" to label details in the graphic of the slide. I built the presentation on the company laptop, so no mouse. I cannot tell you how many times during the font switching I had to resize because the "24" didn't stick in the dropdown.
The answer of course would have been to learn how to set up a template, set the template up, and rock on, instead of (for example) cutting and pasting the logo in the right hand corner of every slide. Yes, I missed a few. (corrected during morning review). My template would have had most used fonts and sizes as choices etc. It does seem to me however that a little code could be inserted that picked up on the fact that I selected the exact same font combos on or around the 50th slide, saving me the keypounding frustration of hitting a text block, clicking font, typing "mi tab 24 tab" over and over and still ending up with Mistral 48 instead of 24 and having to select the text and resize...
Man do I like to whine! (see above) I could be changing an oil filter directly over the oil pan drainhole and having hot oil drip on my fingers (thank you Mazda, Honda and all the rest of the so-called engineers out there!)instead of getting CTS for some dull, but consistent, presentation.
Ms Jena(for another 2 months)sent me an article about Chimpanzees in entertainment. What is up with humans not getting the whole primate thing? How hard is it to recognize and respect the intelligence innate to the species? Is PEPSI so unknown we need these ads? When will we stop and think about the cost to our humanity of advertising? Or is "humanity" synonymous with unthinking cruelty? No, I don't belong to PETA.
I was once again flabbergasted that "buy 1 CD get 2 free" costs $27! I will say that the Dexter Gordon record "Doin' Allright" on Bluenote was worth the price of admission. Just the ticket after a grueling job 1 and 2 day...makes me want to see "Round Midnight" again. The in-movie band included Dexter Gordon, John McLaughlin and Herbie Hancock...
Linkage for the last 3 posts to be added later today.

No comments: