Monday, May 23, 2005

movies@work(tm) the Human Stain


Disadvantage(s) of working(2) at a video store:
1. Watching movies one would not pick out
2. Forgetting the movie one just watched because you are working
3. Judging a movie poorly because one is distracted by work
"the Human Stain" stars Anthony Hopkins, Nicole Kidman, Ed Harris and Gary Sinise.
The novel was written by one of my favorites, Philip Roth. True to form I will reveal little about the plot. Anthony Hopkins plays a black man who has passed for white his entire life. "Coleman" his first name, i suspect is a play on "coal man" but maybe I'm reaching. This movie took a difficult path with touchy subject matter written by a master at the top of his form.
This cast is up to it, regardless of the reviews of jaded reviewers. There is a lot to like about this movie's grim portrayal of the American underbelly (and I don't mean Nicole's). I found myself rewinding after customers left to catch the dialogue, always a good sign.
If you can't bring yourself to see "Crash" in the theatre, see this. "the Human Stain" does not have racism as it's target but as a condition.

No comments: