Friday, June 10, 2005

Lords of Dogtown


Starring: John Robinson, Emile Hirsch, and Victor Rasuk. Rebecca de Mornay shines as a washed out surfer mom..
Also starring the perfect soundtrack snapshot of an era that will never be repeated. This movie was written by the Stacy Peralta, one of the skaters. It was directed by Catherine Hardwicke who directed the terrific "Thirteen". It is shocking to me the tunnelvision I have had over these last 30 years of my own life.
I wasn't allowed to have a skateboard, and that is where that ended.
Ray Charles was just some old blind singer...not the complex genius I met in the "fiction" "Ray".
"Lords of Dogtown" is a similar fiction, this one about the friendship of several skaters over the hyperbolic arc of their early lives.
Media, money, music, mentors, marketing, stir. Extract connections and meaning, reserve pulp. Pleasant and shocking the threads of light and contemplation that this movie gave me. I hope that the documentary proves as fruitful!

No comments: