Monday, November 01, 2004

Aspirations of Fiscal Freedom

I sent the following letter this morning along with my ontime payment. I had lost this bill in the sea of paperwork in the "action" pile. Certainly no excuse! I had found the bill 10 days after it was due, and paid it. My next statement reflected a $35.00 late fee. That would be 35.00 on a minimum payment of $57.00.
Draw your own conclusions. The only editing I have done on this letter is adding the links and removing my account number for all the phishermen out there.

11/1/04
from: Mark Desmet acct ****-****-****-3570

to: Whom It May Concern,

I would like to bring two things to your attention. First, I am sure you are well aware of how completely out of touch with the current market 28.49% is with regard to APR. I realize that I have closed my account--in part because of this amazingly high rate--3 times the rate of my current, active card, so you have no vested interest in customer satisfaction.

The other item is your Draconian 35.00 late fee. I know you apply it "because you can". Well, not for much longer. When I have finished paying down this account I can assure you of 2 things: I will NEVER consider another Aspire product. Which means you will not see my IRA, pension, or investments as I return to the land of people with their heads above water.

It goes without saying that my business is meaningless to you, hence the rapacious fee and APR, but what you have purchased with those items is bad word of mouth. I have nothing bad to say about anybody, but your policies? I will trumpet them. I can only hope my weblog, radio broadcast and water cooler chatter has some negative impact on you.

You should be ashamed.

Mark Desmet

PS: I have no good excuse for being about 10 days late on my payment last month.

No comments: