Sunday, July 03, 2005

Prepping 4 Serenity


"Serenity" is the name of the ship...
"Firefly" is the now cancelled series...
"Joss Whedon" is the writer/director..
And I am watching the series today back to back on my 9 hour marathon shift this holiday weekend. I suppose my mental state may be important to judgement, so here it is: vaguely irritated, melancholic, excited and looking forward to tonight's festivities.
Looking at the Serenity website I am pleased to see that the cast from the TV show made it to the big screen, including Ron Glass. Yes, from Barney Miller. That was good TV!
Just finished the pilot, 2 hours. Throw us in, get bearings from the edges. Nice, thoughtful. Guns, horses, spaceships in a world gone mad. World is too small. Galaxy..more apropos. Never mind the mysterious telepathic stowaway/sister/hottie/savant. She is for the big story arc of course. I of course have no idea why this cool show failed..oh wait, I just heard it, "God ain't welcome on this ship.."
Adam Baldwin plays a muscled bonehead named Jane, and of course there is a "Companion" on board so we get malecentric feminism about the world's oldest profession. The aforementioned Ron Glass plays a Preacher. I know, I know "..ain't we seen this thing before?"
Special effects are subtle, I like that. Some truly cool in atmosphere spaceship stuff, with some thought as to how it might actually look. Politics are interesting, a lot less the the last week in the news stuff that has been "infecting" the current movie crop.
I'm ok with politics, they certainly affect us every damn day, but most "media" treatments are kneejerk, and extend understanding little. The other problem with current events in movies/tv is longrevity. Out of daily context nothing dates a movie faster than a calendar shot than "presentday" poorly represented.
Ok, I'm 4-5 episodes into the very short series and I'm hooked. Dammit.

No comments: